The Family Chapter is for pilgrims who are not able to walk 100 km in three days, but who are committed to walking approximately 15 km per day. The chapter includes, but is not limited to, children (usually ages 8 to 12), the parents of participating children, and seniors.
The Family Chapter offers the opportunity for more parents, younger children and even whole families to participate in the pilgrimage. Pilgrims young and less young can give glory to God by offering to the Virgin their joyful song, weary legs and ready heart.
“To go in a spirit of prayer from one place to another … helps us not only to live our life as a journey, but also gives us a vivid sense of a God who has gone before us and leads us on, who himself set out on man's path, a God who does not look down on us from on high, but who became our travelling companion.”
- Letter of the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II concerning pilgrimage to the places linked to the history of salvation, 29 June 1999.
Logistics of the Family Chapter:
- The Family Chapter participates with the same spirit of pilgrimage as the regular chapters
- All pilgrims attend the same meals, rest stops, masses and camp.
- Pilgrims of the Family Chapter walk approximately 15 km per day and drive / are driven the rest of the distance. Driving arrangements should be made in advance.
- Adults in the Family Chapter assist in the transportation of Family Chapter pilgrims.
- Approximately one vehicle for every two families is required. * (see note below)
- A rotation of drivers ensures that everyone who wants to walk gets an opportunity to do so.